Sunday, July 24, 2005


Cherry Picking


I grew up only knowing cherries as those way too sweet, fake tasting cherries u find in drinks, with people trying to use the stem to tie a knot using their tongue. A skill I have yet to master. :P

Finally got to go cherry picking today. My friends did not call the farm ahead to check if their open today. Got to the gate after over an hour's drive. Gate closed... oh no... Called the farm, they're now closed for the season. Damn! Decided not to give up too easily. Drove around the area, and finally found a farm that was still open. Took a basket and started to wonder around the farm. Saw some lovely cherries on a tree, reached up to pick them, realised I was too short. Bad luck after bad luck. Looks like ladders were left all over the farm for a reason. Found a ladder, picked a tree, climbed up and started my job.


I've decided that I would much rather go to a grocery store and pick my cherries from there! Much easier! Especially since the price we pay at the farm isn't cheaper, PLUS we have to do the dirty work ourselves. Apply picking is much more enjoyable, but pity, coz I do not like apples that much.

My friends were eating as they picked. I didn't. They brought the baby with them, and had fed cherries to the baby. I tried to advise against it. A sign at the entrance said cherries needed to be washed before eating. For obvious reasons, coz u can see pesticide residue! They were saying that since the price is the same as in a groceries store, what u gain is the extra you eat while u're there. What can I say? I've done my part...

Boy was I glad when I was done filling my basket and was time to leave. I was tired, hot, sweaty and dirty(from maneuvering between branches to get to those hidden juicy cherries!).

Never again... not voluntarily anyways...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home