Sunday, August 07, 2005

My Birthday Celebrations

I have to say, I've never had my birthday celebrated so much before. Not complaining. :)
4 separate celabrations... I'm guessing my friends feel really bad for me being here in Toronto without family and on top of that, Stefan is away this year. *sob sob*

Jocelyn and her mom are both sooooo sweet to me. I eat at their place all the time. Yes, I'm thickskin! Her mom calls me her "adopted daughter", and she has my birthday engraved in her brain after only being told once last year. Jocelyn and her had a discussion and decided to cook noodles for me on my birthday coz I've mentioned to them that chinese people must eat noodles on birthdays as it signifies longevity. I was touched!

1st celebration: 29th July 2005, Friday
Our group of friends threw a combined birthday celebration for Jocelyn and I. Monte Cristo is a very classy restaurant, with excellent ambience, food and service. I thought the price was pretty ok for that type of place, but when the bill came, we almost fainted. I'm glad I didn't have to pay, but I felt bad for my friends. Our water bill came up to be $50! When we asked for water, we didn't realise we were given bottled water and was charged for it. $7 per bottle! Ouch! The only other thing I can complain about is the missing of the pianist. There should be a live piano performance on Fridays, but somehow there wasn't one there that day. That was compensated by the excellent gifts from my friends. Thank you Jocelyn for the amount of effort and thought that you've obviously put into it!
http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=49528331209

2nd celebration: 4th August 2005, Thursday
Dorian (my roommate from 1st yr university) is bringing me out. We went for Vietnamnese and Bubble Tea... nothing glamourous but just as touching since she's not working and has always been careful with money. The restaurant was disappointing! How can they provide disposable wooden chopsticks and plastic spoons?? Noodles weren't properly cooked, which made it even more difficult for us to pick them up with that stupid chopsticks. The waiter obviously noticed that Dory was having diffiulties with her chopsticks so he brought her a fork instead. Guess what? It's a metal fork! Maybe I should pretend I don't use chopsticks either!

3rd celebration: 5th August 2005, Friday
Jenzy, my guardian angel here... Always looking out for me, taking care of me when I'm sick. Decided to celebrate my birthday as well... He did what I did to him on his birthday last week. All he had to do was be ready for pick up and just go along, knowing no details of the night. I appreciated it! Not knowing how might be coming gave no room for disappointment. Not knowing the plan gave no room for expectations. I appreciated people showing up even though the restaurant Jenzy picked was out of the way for everybody!

The only request I had for the night was to go clubbing at Devil's Martini. I've been there a few times, but this time I want to be able to step in with my head high coz their age limit was 25 yrs old! Ivan and I arrived at the club first. Showed my ID to the bouncer. He looked at it, looked at me, shook his head, looked at my ID, looked at me. "OMG! Dun tell me he's gonna make me wait till midnight before letting me in!!!" Meanwhile, Ivan was beside me looking bewildered! Probably wondering "How old is Ming?!?! Why is the bouncer shaking his head??? I swear I remember coming here with her once!" Finally, the bouncer smiled at me and said "You just made it! Happy Birthday!" A sigh of relief from both Ivan and me. With a quick thanks, I walked in before he changes his mind!

Friends' plan to get my wasted did not happen! haha!
http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=40205284209

4th and final celebration: 6th August 2005, Saturday
I am to arrive at Jocelyn's place at 12noon for lunch. It was to be a quiet event with Jocelyn, her mom, her aunt and her boyfriend Felix. Jocelyn had done a little bit of decoration of her place. Food wasn't ready, so I helped out while waiting for Felix to come back from his haircut.

I helped set the table for 5, places the yummy dishes out and waited... Finally everything was ready, we sat at the table then there was a knock on the door. Must be her aunt. Jocelyn said since it's my birthday, I have to open the door. The knock sounded insistent, which was weird. The peephole was blocked. Weird... So open the door I did... Man, was I pleasantly shocked out of my skin! My friends were at the door yelling "SURPRISE!!!" OMG!!! I feel blessed with such great friends! Especially Jocelyn for going all out for me! Reminded me of the little surprise party at work last year. Totally caught me off guard.. Both times, I'm on the verge of tears!

After the fulfilling lunch, we had the yummy dessert prepared by Lina. I know I shouldn't be greedy with all that I have, but I was a little disappointed that with all these birthday celebrations I've had, I don't have a birthday cake.

It's my birthday and my wish will not be denied. Jocelyn starting walking out of the kitchen with a huge lovely pink cake baked by her mom just for me! There is truly nothing more I can ask for! At least for today. heh heh..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home